Governors are the largest volunteer force in the country. Every school has a governing body, made up of members of staff, members of the local community, parents of children at the school and people appointed by the local authority. At Henry Cavendish, as with every school in the UK, we need to be aware of what’s going on in the school, what’s working and should be encouraged and, perhaps more importantly, what isn’t working and needs to change. Our role is to support and challenge Mrs Hardy and her senior leadership team. We’re not there to rubber stamp decisions, and we have to ask difficult questions and discuss issues so that we arrive at sensible and constructive outcomes which will help Henry Cavendish maintain its high standards and continue moving forward. It is important we get things right. How we do our job affects the interests of pupils, staff morale and how the school is seen by parents and others in the community.
We are legally required to:
- Set strategic direction, policies and objectives
- Approve the school budget
- Review progress against the school’s budget and objectives
- Appoint, challenge and support the Headteacher
We are not responsible for the day-to-day running of the school. That is entirely down to the Mrs Hardy and her Senior Leadership Team.
If you have a question or a problem you should first talk to your child’s class teacher, the office staff or the Headteacher. If you don’t feel able to talk to any of the school staff and have something that’s on your mind, then please do contact us. You can send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, leave a note in the governors’ postbox in reception, or talk to one of the parent governors in the playground.
From June 2014 the Governing Body consists of 15 members and include:
- 4 parent governors – elected by parents of children attending Henry Cavendish Primary School
- 1 LA governor – appointed by the London Borough of Lambeth
- 1 Headteacher – ex-officio
- 1 staff governor – elected by school staff
- 8 co-opted governors – elected by the Governing Body