Henry Cavendish has a well-established Play Leader scheme to ensure all children have a safe and happy playtime. Play Leaders are children from Year 3 who are available to organise games and support other children in their game play. This role also supports Year 3 children in their transition to Key Stage 2, building confidence and self-esteem. Children are encouraged to apply for Play Leader roles and work closely with the Learning Mentors (see link below) to support peers in Early Years and KS1 during their playtimes. All the Play Leaders receive support from Learning Mentors and work on a rota system.
The benefits of peer mentoring include:
- development of pupils’ social skills when dealing with conflicts
- the creation of an atmosphere of calm and cooperation in the playground
- an increase in pupils’ self-esteem
- an offer of alternative options to disruption and inappropriate behaviour
- the creation of a safe and positive environment that enhances play
- pupil empowerment and the teaching of emotional intelligence
- a reduction in bullying, inappropriate behaviours and unhappy pupils at playtimes
If you are interested in becoming a Play Leader, please speak to Ms Gurney (Balham) or Ms Scott (Streatham).